The Best Pieces of Equipment for Your Home Gym for 2020
Never worry about the gym again with this home gym set up.
Your home gym can quickly replace a commercial gym if you have the right equipment (and atmosphere) to support your fitness goals. 2020 has been an insane year so far and it's a good time to start setting up your home equipment to ensure your fitness goals don't fall by the wayside.
The coronavirus has most people staying home and avoiding crowded places for the time being. A crowded gym can be an easy place to spread germs and it might make sense to get your home gym equipped to handle your workout plan for the next few months or so.
Worst case scenario you have a badass home set up that allows for you to get a great workout in anytime you can't make it to the gym.
To help you get set up - I've put together a list of my favorite home gym equipment for 2020. I've linked to Amazon wherever possible.
The Basic Kit
Let's start with a solid home gym kit that you can grab on Amazon. I've personally purchased this stuff for my garage so that I never have an excuse when it comes to my training.
- Adjustable dumbbells - Dumbbells are so versatile. I'll have a link to normal dumbbells later in this blog, but I'm a huge fan of adjustable dumbbells to save space and give you better bang for your buck. Buying each weight of dumbbells individually can ramp up the pricing quite a bit.
2. Exercise Bench - having a bench is almost more important than dumbbells. There's so many bodyweight movements you can do on a bench, plus it adds a whole new dimension to your home workouts if you have a bench plus dumbbells.
3. Rubber Mats - once again this is another underrated piece to have in the home gym. If you're training on concrete surfaces this can keep your equipment from breaking and prevent injuries if you're doing bodyweight work. Plus these are super cheap and I highly recommend you grab them.
The Anywhere Anytime Tools
4. Bands - exercise bands are a great tool to take with you anywhere you train or travel. Having bands in the gym can add some variety to your training so it's a good idea to invest in a few pairs to add a new level to your training.
5. Rings - rings aren't usually mentioned in the home gym discussion simply because they might be considered an advanced piece of equipment by some fitness pros. Personally, I think they are tremendous for anyone who wants to build as much muscle at home as possible. They are extremely versatile and can add a whole host of options to your home workouts.
6. Sliders - talk about another underrated piece of equipment. Sliders add some serious intensity to basic bodyweight movements. Plus they can be taken anywhere you go just like bands.
7. TRX Home Suspension Trainer - the TRX is a powerful piece of equipment that allows you to train the entire body at anytime. This is a must have for beginners who want a safe option for home workouts as well as advanced trainees who want to add some variety to their training.
The Next Step Up Kit
Need to add some spice to your basic set up? These next few home gym items will take your workouts to the next level.
8. Kettlebells - kettlebell training falls under the more advanced training, but if you're looking for a step up in intensity and functional capability, kettlebells can work wonders. I recommend starting with a moderate to light kettlebell to get the feel for it before graduating to heavier versions.
9. Pull Up and Dip Station - if you have some space in your garage - I highly recommend a dip and pull up station. This is a tremendous piece when it comes to taking your bodyweight training to the next level.
10. Individual Dumbbells - the adjustable dumbbells are awesome and can work great. There may come a time where you need a few pairs of individual dumbbells for convenience and for certain exercises. These can get pricey but having a few pairs helps keeps your workouts progressing.
Good Things to Have Around The Home Gym
Here's a few more items that make workouts even better at home. Some of these are nice to have if you want to keep workouts from getting boring or too predictable. These items aren't 100% necessary but I promised the best equipment so these need to be on the list.
11. AirDyne Bike - this is a torture device that burns fat like crazy if used frequently enough. I can't think of a better conditioning and cardio tool to have in the garage.
12. Foam Roller - you could technically classify this as a must have piece of equipment. However, there's mixed reviews on how necessary foam rolling really is. It's a solid piece to have around for warming up and working out sore muscles so I'm including it here.
13. Row Machine - another rock solid cardio piece that I prefer over the treadmill. This one works your whole body and is a killer for heart health and conditioning.
14. Treadmill - ok fine, a treadmill is a pretty nice thing to have when it's cold outside. Plus it can be a valuable tool to improve cardiovascular conditioning. If you have the space, I love the Nordic treadmill.
15. Ski Erg - this is another piece of cardio equipment that I like more than the treadmill. You get a nice upper body pump while doing this one. This is my personal favorite machine along with the bike.
That wraps up my top 15 pieces of equipment for your home gym. If you need a full blown home workout system - you can check out our 12 Week HomeBody program.
APPLY FOR OUR COACHING PROGRAM BELOW
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.